2012 Post Season Summary
By Steve Shahin, Extended Programs Director
, March 10, 2012
TOXIC WASTE - GU14 - Head Coach Alfredo Vasquez, Assistant Coach Marco Viramontes, Team Parents Gabby and George Castro.
Alhambra Region 60 Post Season Programs consist of few different categories and the following is a review of those teams which did an outstanding job by finishing at the top for each of the different programs.
Alhambra sent teams to play in the Graduate, League Play Through and All Star Programs. Our teams and players once again proved that they can compete with any and all and they came home with the hardware to prove it.
The Graduates program is comprised primarily of U8 girls and boys who are moving up into the U10 division the following year. Alhambra sent 6 teams and all did and excellent job competing and against teams from, San Gabriel, Temple City and El Monte. The teams listed below finished in the top of the program following their pool play and playoffs.
- Girls Grad team coached by Greg Osterman finished 1st by defeating a previously undefeated San Gabriel team 1-0 in their final playoff game.
- Boys Grad team coached by Juan Jimenez finished 2nd after losing to and undefeated Temple City Team 2-1 in their final playoff game.
- Another Boys Grad team coached by Art Gonzalez took 3rd with a 1-0 win in their final playoff game.
Way to go, Graduates. These are our future stars working hard to succeed.
League Play Through
TOXIC WASTE - GU14
For League Play Through Alhambra had one team qualify for Section play at Riverside; our GU14 team, Toxic Waste, coached by Alfredo Vasquez.
The team advanced from Area play and participated at Section on February 25th and 26th. The team had to play 3 pool games on Saturday, winning all three, qualifying them to play in the semifinal and final on Sunday and ultimately winning those games too. 5 games in 2 days, all wins. WOW! Our girls were an extremely tired but incredibly happy group because their efforts now allow them to advance to the State Finals in March on the 17th and 18th in Cathedral City, CA. This marks the first time our region has sent a League Play Through team this far.
Great job and many cheers go out to the players, coaching staff and parents for all their hard work, keep it up girls and do well. Bring back the hardware, ladies.
Section All Stars
GU14 - Section All Stars
BU12 - Section All Stars
GU12 - Section All Stars
All Star Section teams had 4 teams qualify for Area playoffs out of our 12 total Alhambra Section teams.
- GU10 Section team coached by Debra Garcia finished 4th overall and our girls played well in a very tough division, but did not qualify to advance to Riverside for Section play.
- GU14 Section team finished 2nd overall with only 1 loss the entire season. Coach Alfred Vasquez and his team wished that loss did not come in the final Championship playoff game, but unfortunately it did. And this season this division allowed only the 1st place team to advances to Riverside.
- BU12 Section team finished 2nd overall in Area 1C and played well the entire season. Coach Letty Peralta did a great job in keep her troops motivated through out the year. They lost a tough match against a good Glendale team in the final of area play. This team advanced to section play at Riverside and played very well. They won 1 game and lost 2 and did not qualify to the finals. Congratulations to the team and their coaches to a terrific season overall.
- Finally our GU12 Section team finished 1st overall in Area 1C play by defeating 2 tough teams, semifinal against an undefeated So. Pasadena and a final against Arcadia. The girls played their best when it counted and they walked away with the Blue Ribbon from Area play. As they advanced and competed in Riverside the team tied one game and lost two, and did not qualify for the finals. The girls coached by myself played with a toughness that persisted throughout the entire season. Each game became easier for all the players and the team played and represented Alhambra very well. I was honored to coach such a wonderful group of players.
Area All Stars
BU12 - Area All Stars
Our All Stars were caped off with a tremendous show of team work from both our Area All Star GU10 team and our Area All Star BU12 team.
GU10 Area team played 2 final games (semifinal on Saturday and consolation on Sunday March 3rd and 4th) by going into shots from the penalty in the consolation game on Sunday against a tough So. Pasadena team. Even though the girls coached by Damian Castanon lost the shoot out, they played very well and they should be proud of their effort and accomplishments. GU10 finished 4th overall in Area All Star play.
BU12 Area team finished in 1st Place and took home Blue after playing 2 very tough matches on the 3rd and 4th of March. Coach Edwin Torres and the boys had to defeat a very determined Pasadena boy's team in 3 sets of shots from the penalty. Once they did that there was little that Glendale could do in the final and our boys defeated Glendale 6-0 in a match that was not even that close. The Bu12 team just got their motor running after the semifinal and never looked back in the final. Congratulations to the team and their coach for a terrific season.
Last by not least our Regional All Stars were represented by our GU10 division as the team Coached by George and Annabel Juarez also advanced to playoffs but ultimately finished 5th overall. Great job team and congratulations.
As Region 60 Extended Play Coordinator I was privileged to help set up all our All Star teams. The teams and coaches proved to be a fantastic group and all our Alhambra family should be very proud in the manner by which our teams not only played, but also more importantly the manner in which we all conducted ourselves. As a volunteer it encourages me to see all our efforts go for good, the good here is not only the end results, but the way in which Alhambra is represented by its players, parents and volunteers. So thank you all for a great season and GO ALHAMBRA.